A cost center is a function that is operated by optimizing its existing components.
This definition gets at the root of why I think explaining engineering’s contribution through optimization metrics is a flawed endeavor. When engineering departments ask their CEOs and Boards to evaluate them through the context of optimization metrics (“cycle time decreased by 20% QoQ!”), they are training those bodies to evaluate them as a cost center.
What does it mean to be a cost center?
from Irrational Exuberance
- Original layout !(https://www.joelsimon.net/imgs/evo_plans/resul...from joelsimon.net
- Dependencies (coupling) is an important concern to address, but it&...from kbouck
- Deep and shallow modules: The best modules are deep: they allow a ...from John Ousterhout
- By replacing integration tests with unit tests, we're losing al...from Computer Things
- More things than you would think are dynamic strategic problems. If...from marcelo.rinesi
- I propose that there is one problem chief among them, an impetus fo...from George Hosu
- The only good advice I have here is to re-evaluate your metrics oft...from ferd.ca
- When software -- or idea-ware for that matter -- fails to be access...from gist.github.com