Amazon thought that if they could force users to go straight to Amazon, offer a small amount of money to charity from each order, it would be a far reduced amount than they would owe Google. It therefore helps kill customers going to Google, saving Amazon more money and being positive overall for the brand value of Amazon.
That’s why for the program to work, the user has to start shopping at Smile.amazon.com so Google doesn’t get attribution. As a matter of fact, until recently, the option to use Smile wasn't available in the app. Amazon Smile was developed by the Traffic Optimization team, whose entire purpose is increasing efficiency and lowering costs of getting customers to Amazon.
Sent Items #136: Monday, January 23, 2023
from Second Marathon Archive Feed
- If all the burghers of Small Town USA get together and say “we want...from Matt Levine
- The only good advice I have here is to re-evaluate your metrics oft...from ferd.ca
- This, from last week, is [one of the best stories you’ll ever read]...from Matt Levine
- The law states that any circulating currency consisting of both &qu...from en.wikipedia.org
- But to tear down a factory or to revolt against a government or to ...from Robert M. Pirsig
- Every so often the US government thinks about defaulting on its deb...from Matt Levine
- Often, in making edits to a work: The ego comes in, saying: I wante...from Rick Rubin
- Infrastructure undergirds society; failures of it are a per se emer...from Bits about Money