You just keep being struck by the marvels of what you’re discovering, and you’re “discovering” it, even though somebody else did it already. Then if you can ever add a little bit to what’s already known—alright, that’s very exciting. And I think the same thing is true of a person who builds a boat: I don’t see why it’s fundamentally any different—I mean, I wish I could do that; I can’t, I can’t imagine doing it.
Well, I think people should be able to live in a society where they can exercise these kinds of internal drives and develop their capacities freely—instead of being forced into the narrow range of options that are available to most people in the world now. And by that, I mean not only options that are objectively available, but also options that are subjectively available—like, how are people allowed to think, how are they able to think? Remember, there are all kinds of ways of thinking that are cut off from us in our society—not because we’re incapable of them, but because various blockages have been developed and imposed to prevent people from thinking in those ways.
📕Noam Chomsky | Understanding PowerJosh Beckman
- The point is, it doesn’t matter what you read, what matters is how ...
- Actually, it reminds me in some ways of things that you find in non...
- Instead, the basic principle I would like to see communicated to pe...
- Well, the drive to “advance”—I think you have to ask exactly what t...
- But the point is, for classical liberals in the eighteenth century,...
- View all
- When we interact with a product, we need to figure out how to work ...from Don Norman
- But fifty years of progress in miniaturization and software changed...from idlewords.com
- Follow existing patterns unless there’s an order of magnitude impro...from Irrational Exuberance
- But if you use the trick I learned twenty years ago from a Subaru s...from Field Notes from Christopher Brown
- Essentially, the use of AI as a technology has less of a meta-strat...from marcelo.rinesi
- using AI to design products is more powerful than using AI as a pro...from marcelo.rinesi
- An immediate hypothesis was that Omicron may have developed in a si...from news.ycombinator.com