insights from the seven stages of action lead us to seven fundamental principles of design:
Discoverability. It is possible to determine what actions are possible and the current state of the device.
Feedback. There is full and continuous information about the results of actions and the current state of the product or service. After an action has been executed, it is easy to determine the new state.
Conceptual model. The design projects all the information needed to create a good conceptual model of the system, leading to understanding and a feeling of control. The conceptual model enhances both discoverability and evaluation of results.
Affordances. The proper affordances exist to make the desired actions possible.
Signifiers. Effective use of signifiers ensures discoverability and that the feedback is well communicated and intelligible.
Mappings. The relationship between controls and their actions follows the principles of good mapping, enhanced as much as possible through spatial layout and temporal contiguity.
Constraints. Providing physical, logical, semantic, and cultural constraints guides actions and eases interpretation.
The Design of Everyday Things: Revised and Expanded Edition
from Don Norman 📕
- Dealing with Error: • Put the knowledge required to operate the te...
- Poka-yoke is another Japanese method, this one invented by Shigeo S...
- the Toyota Production System. Among its many key principles is a ph...
- Errors have two major forms. Slips occur when the goal is correct, ...
- Forcing functions are the extreme case of strong constraints that c...
- Physical constraints are made more effective and useful if they are...
- These four classes of constraints-physical, cultural, semantic, and...
- View all
- Now the real advantage of tracing to me is it comes out of the box ...from Mathew Duggan
- My experience is companies do not anticipate that the cost of monit...from Mathew Duggan
- The **OODA loop** is the cycle *observe–orient–decide–act*, develop...from en.wikipedia.org
- Sometimes people use "respect" to mean "treating som...from kottke.org
- Elisa Baniassad and Alexander Summers have this great paper [Refram...from Hillel Wayne
- We’re building apps to surround and harness AI, but we need microsc...from Interconnected
- A river of material flows through us. When we share our works and o...from Rick Rubin
- All you crazy MFs are completely overlooking the fact that **softwa...from Steve Yegge