Here are three levels of mapping, arranged in decreasing effectiveness as memory aids:
• Best mapping: Controls are mounted directly on the item to be controlled.
• Second-best mapping: Controls are as close as possible to the object to be controlled.
• Third-best mapping: Controls are arranged in the same spatial configuration as the objects to be controlled. Natural control mapping
The Design of Everyday Things: Revised and Expanded Edition
from Don Norman 📕
- Dealing with Error: • Put the knowledge required to operate the te...
- Poka-yoke is another Japanese method, this one invented by Shigeo S...
- the Toyota Production System. Among its many key principles is a ph...
- Errors have two major forms. Slips occur when the goal is correct, ...
- Forcing functions are the extreme case of strong constraints that c...
- Physical constraints are made more effective and useful if they are...
- These four classes of constraints-physical, cultural, semantic, and...
- View all
- discipline doesn’t scale, and if you want people to use good practi...from Fernando Borretti
- Maybe the devices that we ended up with are too flat, too homogenou...from Kyle Chayka
- We’re building apps to surround and harness AI, but we need microsc...from Interconnected
- Syntax coloring isn't useless, it is childish, like training wh...from Douglas Crockford
- Text inputs have no affordances When I go up the mountain to ask t...from wattenberger.com
- Pareidolia — our tendency to see “faces” in everything from power o...from Ribbonfarm Studio
- Programmable notes are note-taking systems that allow you to write ...from Maggie Appleton
- This scavenging in the SaaS landscape is how people express agency ...from Maggie Appleton