The three bank runs which already happened had idiosyncratic causes, but “if accounted for accurately, the bank is insolvent” is the sort of thing which, if one stipulates to it, one would suggest might generate bank runs in the near future. And so there was a policy response, which much commentary has assumed is primarily about the banks which no longer exist, and the satisfaction of their depositors, and which is actually much more about banks in danger which might yet be saved.
Banking in very uncertain times
from Bits about Money
- You can buy a bank’s attention to bespoke needs by bringing it depo...
- Infrastructure undergirds society; failures of it are a per se emer...
- Regulators then heard the numbers, did a bit of modeling in Excel, ...
- The decision to sharply manage down the price of eggs was, indirect...
- All prices embed an interest rate derivative [[Banking in very unc...
- when interest rates rise, all asset prices must fall [[Banking in ...
- View all
- If all the burghers of Small Town USA get together and say “we want...from Matt Levine
- It is funny to imagine an end state here in which markets are entir...from Matt Levine
- After 2008, there was a perception that the government was implicit...from Matt Levine
- from the SEC’s perspective the important thing here is that the rul...from Matt Levine
- if the US government *does* default, that will probably cause the p...from Matt Levine
- The very most important thing to understand in finance and economic...from Matt Levine
- Every so often the US government thinks about defaulting on its deb...from Matt Levine
- Financial systems help us overcome a collective action problem. In ...from Nick Rowe