We’re building apps to surround and harness AI, but we need microscopes to study it too
I always think of the Warp Core in Star Trek – this barely contained seething emanation of ENERGY, and the ship is built around it to sluice and direct that energy away to make it do useful things. (I don’t know if this is actually what the Warp Core is, my Star Trek lore is lacking. But bear with me.)
Or the drive shaft that ran down the centre of steam-powered factories, from which all power and motion was drawn.
When I look at the startups being built with large language models, they treat it like a Warp Core. The job is to surround the LLM, capture it, use it. What controls can be built to harness and guide rather than limit?
The 14 year old boy alignment problem, future shock, and AI microscopes
- The upshot for the industry at large, is: the **LLM-as-Moat model h...from Steve Yegge
- More things than you would think are dynamic strategic problems. If...from marcelo.rinesi
- To quote McLuhan: "Man becomes, as it were, the sex organs of ...from ycombinator.com
- It is funny to imagine an end state here in which markets are entir...from Matt Levine
- We don't quite know what to do with language models yet. But we...from Maggie Appleton
- These are wonderful non-chat interfaces for LLMs that I would total...from Maggie Appleton
- combining search and AI chat is actually the wrong way to go and I ...from Garbage Day
- As these stories pop up people act like they’re an incredible marve...from Garbage Day