Paradoxically, the one clear winner in all of this is Meta. Because the leaked model was theirs, they have effectively garnered an entire planet's worth of free labor. Since most open source innovation is happening on top of their architecture, there is nothing stopping them from directly incorporating it into their products.
The value of owning the ecosystem cannot be overstated. Google itself has successfully used this paradigm in its open source offerings, like Chrome and Android. By owning the platform where innovation happens, Google cements itself as a thought leader and direction-setter, earning the ability to shape the narrative on ideas that are larger than itself.
The more tightly we control our models, the more attractive we make open alternatives. Google and OpenAI have both gravitated defensively toward release patterns that allow them to retain tight control over how their models are used. But this control is a fiction. Anyone seeking to use LLMs for unsanctioned purposes can simply take their pick of the freely available models.
Google should establish itself a leader in the open source community, taking the lead by cooperating with, rather than ignoring, the broader conversation. This probably means taking some uncomfortable steps, like publishing the model weights for small ULM variants. This necessarily means relinquishing some control over our models. But this compromise is inevitable. We cannot hope to both drive innovation and control it. This is like the 2020's version of the Google Platform Rant
Google "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI"
from Dylan Patel
- What I built isn’t an ActivityPub system as much as a Mastodon-comp...from Tom MacWright
- Any software is considered free software so long as it upholds the ...from writefreesoftware.org
- If free software gifts are communism and open source is cynically c...from apenwarr
- [[Here's the thing about gifts: the sender chooses them, not th...from apenwarr
- This story archetype is the Hero's Journey that inspires all so...from apenwarr
- Incentives are well aligned with the success of the open-source pro...from Filippo Valsorda
- Concretely, I exclusively offer ongoing retainer agreements, withou...from Filippo Valsorda
- Virtually all maintainers are either volunteers or full-time employ...from Filippo Valsorda